OMNeT is a C++-based discrete event simulator also for modeling communication networks, multiprocessors and other distributed or parallel systems.
- In-OMNeT++ attempts to fill the gap between open-source, also research-oriented simulation software such as NS-2 and expensive commercial alternatives like OPNET.
- The simulation software itself should be modular, customizable and also should allow embedding simulations into larger applications such as network planning software.
- Data interfaces should be open: it should be possible to generate and process input and also output files with commonly available software tools
- To enable large-scale simulation, simulation models need to be hierarchical, and also built from reusable components as much as possible
- Should provide an Integrated Development Environment that largely facilitates model development and also analyzing results.
- The simulation software should facilitate visualizing and also debugging of simulation models in order to reduce debugging time, which also traditionally takes up a large percentage of simulation projects.
- Well structured.
- Highly modular.
- Not limited also to network protocol simulation.
- Source code is also publicly available.
- Simulation model for internet, IPV6, mobility is also available.